My Parkgate BREAK – Share the care
For over 5 years, My Parkgate BREAK has been a gathering place for individuals experiencing the changes associated with mild to moderate dementia.
The twice weekly program is supported by staff and trained volunteers who share the value that we can do more together than apart. The mission is to support and enhance the lives of families on the dementia journey.
My Parkgate BREAK is making the most of all the resources available at Parkgate Community Centre to build a dementia-friendly intergenerational community for everyone. Some activities include:
- children from our 3-5 group care program spending time with the MyParkgate BREAK members to make “memory books” that will travel with them on their journey through our health care system;
- working together with youth to capture the life stories of our members and create playlists of ‘musical memories’;
- mini sports days held in the gym (or outside when the weather is nice) with the 3 -5 year old children; and
- making piñatas for Parkgate Community Day.
- All of these activities are done with music, laughter and respect for individual preferences and differences.
My Parkgate BREAK is the first dementia-friendly program at Parkgate but it won’t be the last. Keep your ears open for new dementia programs or contact Pam Havens, Dementia Services Supervisor, ([email protected]) for more information.